How Radiesse Works
Unlike other facial fillers on the market, Radiesse is unique in that it is a combination volume filler as well as a stimulatory facial filler. Results are profound on injection and improve over the course of the next three months as the Radiesse stimulates your natural collagen to form.
Dr. Karamanoukian performs Radiesse injections using a new FDA approved protocol that allows mixing of the Radiesse with lidocaine with epinephrine. The epinephrine causes spasm of the tiny blood vessels (vasoconstriction) that effectively reduces bruising, especially in the nasolabial folds. To reduce the incidence of swelling and bruising, Dr. Karamanoukian also advises patients to use a BruisePak before and after injection. To schedule an appointment for Radiesse in our Santa Monica office, call (310) 998-5534.
Facial fillers, including Juvederm, Perlane, Radiesse, and Restylane are all administered via injection. Typically, there is no downtime after a facial filler injection, but in some rarer cases, patients may develop transient swelling or bruising. Dr. Karamanoukian and his staff take all necessary precautions to minimize bruising and swelling after your procedure, but in some cases, it is unpredictable. The folowing guidelines serve as a reference for both clinician and patient. Adherence to these instrucitons are strongly recommended in order to maximize results and minimize any downtime.
1) Avoid aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (Ibuprofen, Motrin, Aadvil, Naprosyn), St. John's Wort, or excessive doses of Vitamin E at least two weeks prior to injection. These medications can impair the body's natural ability to stop bleeding. Hence, taking these medications prior to the injection may increase one's ability to fend off bruises.
2) Purchase the Bruise-Pak pills from your local health food store, pharmacy, or through our website to reduce bruising and swelling during and after your injection. We recommend two pills twice a day from the day of your injection, for a total of 5 days.
3) If you have a bleeding history or an anemic, it is recommended that you take the Bruise-Pak for 5 days prior to your procedure. Also, we will have ice packs ready for your use immediately after injection.
4) If you have a strong history of cold sores, you will be given a prescription for Valtrex or Zovirax to reduce the onset and occurence of cold sores after injection.
5) Please provide us with enough time to perform the procedure in a meticulous fashion during your appointment. Remember that we are a plastic surgery office and Dr. Karamanoukian and his staff are dedicated to exceptional service and patient care. During the course of the day, we may be a little delayed, but we will make every possible effort to accomodate your schedule.